05 November 2012

Election Day

A rare serious post today.

Tomorrow is election day in America. I'm voting for Barack Obama, and I strongly urge you to do the same if you're eligible to vote.

Chances are you're a gay or bisexual man if you're reading this blog. Think about what Obama has done for our community and then think about what it would mean to have Mitt Romney as President.

Romney signed the National Organization for Marriage's pledge against marriage equality. He has vowed to appoint Supreme Court justices who would oppose marriage equality. He supports an amendment to the U.S. Constitution that would block the federal government from ever recognizing marriages for gays and lesbians. He would recind hospital visitation rights for gay couples. He would return discrimination against gays in the military. He would repeal hate crime legislation. He would repeal civil rights laws protecting gay Americans in the workplace. And the list goes on and on and on.

Romney courted gay voters in the past and then turned against them when he no longer needed them. He once crowed that he would be better than Ted Kennedy for gay voters when he was running for senator in Massachusetts. But now that he no longer needs gay voters -- he needs those who oppose gay rights, a larger number -- so gays and lesbians are thrown under the bus. That proves he can never be trusted.

If you're a woman -- and I know some of you readers are -- think of what a Romney presidency would mean for you. He has vowed to appoint Supreme Court justices who would overturn Roe v. Wade. He wants to crush Planned Parenthood. He wants to make your womb the property of the US government. He wants to overturn laws ensuring equality for women in all aspects of life, including the workplace. And as a religious leader, he was particularly hostile to women and their rights.

A vote for Romney is a vote to take our country backwards a half century and to trample the rights of tens of millions of Americans' in the process.

Don't allow that to happen. You don't want to wake up two or three years from now, when your rights are being taken away by a President Romney, and say to yourself, "if only I had voted for Obama."

Instead, you can vote to move forward. Vote Obama. It's the right thing to do. For all of us.



11 comments:

  1. If you will publish my comment. I think Obama is not experience enough to lead our country. It is easy to say things are getting better when we are living on borrowed money. The cost of running the entire government (security side and administration) is $1.1 trillion. We have been borrowing more than that amount each year to keep the country running. There is an excellent piece in the Washington Post which explains the situation and why we need Romney. I voted for Obama in 2008. I wanted the hope and change too. I did not happen. I don't feel he is pro gay anyway. They had to bring him out on the subject. I am 58 years old and nearing retirement. I just hope each person will look at the facts, not the hype. Thanks for letting me comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous08:05

    Thank-you, for me, that was very informative, and when I go to the polls tomorrow, I will keep all what you said in mind. I am a bisexual man, and who knows, someday, I might want to marry another man, and I want the same rights as any married couple.

    Signed: Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous08:48

    Thanks for the off-topic but crucial reminder!

    -Tim23832

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with ya', buddy! That chameleon Romney would set America back over 20 years when it comes to gay rights, women's rights, and the middle class. He'll cater to the rich and corporations... not to mention probably get us back into a war (either existing or new). The list goes on. Both me and my partner of 30 years have already voted for Mr. Obama.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you 100%. I'm a 65 year old Bi Married Man and I, my wife and our 19 year old daughter are all voting for the President's re-election. My sisters who live in Florida have already voted for him as are and have many more of our friends and relations than have voted for Bishop Romney.

    It's Getting Better...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous13:53

    Thank you for posting this! I will never vote for someone who believes that the fact that I exist is against god...Sexy picture too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous04:31

    BRAVO!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous05:28

    I voted in MD early for Obama. This is realy a life or death situtation for Our country.

    ReplyDelete
  9. While I appreciate your serious post, the lesser of two evils remains evil. Mr. O. sealed his fate with me by signing the NDAA and a couple of abhorrent executive orders that put GWB's to shame, and Mr. President in the lesser of two evil department. My conscience votes Gary Johnson, or some other third party candidate, I still have time before pulling the lever to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous08:40

    Though I can't influence the results of the elections (I'm from Asia! Ha.) I do believe that Obama is actually working towards a better middle class because of the new taxes that tax the rich more heavily, as opposed to Romney, who sort of rebutted the (Warren) Buffet tax. So if I were a citizen in the US (wishful thinking on my part) I would definitely, without and doubt, vote for Obama.
    And not to mention, the LGBT issues just show how unreliable Romney can be. I, for one, would definitely NOT want him to govern my country.

    ReplyDelete

Speak up!